7.28.2011

Finding My Voice.

I’ve been struggling with sharing my thoughts, photographs and perspective through the various social networks and outlets lately. The thing is, putting yourself out there makes you somewhat vulnerable. I might work on something and think to myself, “what if someone thinks my photos are completely bush league? Or what if I’m not communicating what I want to say correctly and I sound like a jackass? What if my grammar is all wrong (I’m pretty sure it is)? What if no one likes this? What if this has been done or said before? And most importantly, what difference does it make if I share this?”

These thoughts have prevented me from sharing so many times. I’m afraid that I’m not good enough and get so worried about an audience liking what I do, that I resort to doing nothing at all. There is a fear of negative feedback and rejection that looms over me that is ridiculous, yet common and understandable. I think we all tend to rely on positive feedback or encouragement from others to motivate us to continue creating and doing what we’re doing. If you’re sharing a part of yourself, you are most likely looking for some sort of validation that people want to hear more from you and then that snowballs. Ideally, you want to feel as though you’ve reached someone or stirred an emotion. If you feel like you haven’t accomplished that, it leaves you feeling somewhat powerless, discouraged and without a voice.

The thing is, I’ve come to realize that not everyone is going to feel what you’re saying or doing. Not everyone is going to pat you on the back every time you put yourself out there, even if they do think it’s great. You have to move on from worrying about what someone else might think because getting praise from others is most likely not the reason you’re doing it in the first place (credit to my husband for pointing this out). You can’t let your fear of failure debilitate you. If you’re a writer, you probably write because you love to write. You’re first published piece may not resonate with your audience, but you don’t give up. You keep writing because it’s what you love and believe in. You know that if you don’t start somewhere, your voice will definitely never be heard. Whatever your passion may be, it needs to be cultivated. You don’t just pick up a pen or a camera and start being great. You have to work at it and build one step at a time. By sharing the steps of your journey with others, good or bad, you’ll end up adding so much value because you may inspire someone else along the way. They’ll remember the first piece of mediocre writing or the first completely overexposed photo you ever shared and see where your love & passion made the difference in the end result. Most importantly, by drawing from your experience, they’ll see that they have the ability to create something too.

Today, I am shifting my focus. I don’t really need validation to keep doing what I love doing. I know that I am not great, but I do know that I could be great. I’ll keep working on defining my voice, one that reflects how the world looks through my eyes, but through it all, I know it will be one that supports, encourages, and inspires others to challenge themselves to dream, create and build. We all have something of value to say to the world, but it is up to each and every one of us to decide whether or not anyone hears it.

5 comments:

  1. Love this blog post!! Thank you for motivating me to propel myself forward! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Liz! I can certainly relate. It took me years to be able to tell people that I was a writer without getting beat red; I felt as though I had no right to put myself in the same category as Oates, Byatt, Tyler, etc. Keep at it. You are a very talented young woman.

    Love, Aunt Carol

    PS: And for what it’s worth: I think you’ve already found your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos and your written blogs are certainly on their way to being "great" (whatever that means; and, for what it's worth, I already think they ARE great). If nothing else, putting yourself "out there" will give you something to look back on, something to gauge your progress by.

    I read something recently about depression in our society and how scientists think social media has a lot to do with us feeling downright crappy with ourselves. People tend to only put things "out there" that put them in the best possible light (of COURSE we don't want people to see us with morning bed head!). Reading that was an "ah-ha" moment for me -- I realized that the grass really isn't greener on the other side. We only *think* we know people online...

    Keep sharing, Liz. You've inspired me over and over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing and I am so proud of you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to let you know that your blog, and this post in particular, has motivated me to write more and expose myself. It is scary as hell, but cathartic as all get out. I was constantly worried about other people, about if they would like it, if they would make fun of me for promoting it. However, I have started to realize that I love doing this and the only way to get better and keep moving on is to keeping plugging away!

    ReplyDelete